How To Clean Your UPVC Windows At HomeContact Us
UPVC windows are a highly durable and versatile product that requires little maintenance and is easy to clean.
While these types of windows can handle all kinds of weather conditions, they will eventually get dirty with dust, muck, and grime gradually building up over time.
Often, all you need to bring back the shine to your UPVC window frames is a bit of elbow grease.
To get your windows looking like new again, the best way to clean your UPVC windows:
- Open the window as wide as possible (not too much but enough to reveal the concealed components) and vacuum to eliminate any accumulated loose dirt (including the hinge or opening mechanism). Consider using a Hoover with a soft brush nozzle as this helps avoid scratching the UPVC windows.
- With a soft cloth or sponge and a bucket of warm soapy water (ideally, washing up liquid), wipe down the dirty window. Avoid using scouring pads or cream cleaners as you run the risk of scratching the UPVC and removing its ‘glossy’ finish.
- Use a clean and non-abrasive cloth such as a tea towel, rag, or old T-shirt to remove excess water.
How To Clean And Whiten UPVC Window Frames
In some cases, older UPVC windows will lose their shine and lustre due to a considerable build-up of dirt and grime on their surface.
If you are experiencing this, you don’t necessarily need to purchase ‘specialist’ cleaning agents to restore your windows’ original finish.
Here is a deeper window frame clean:
- First, mix one cup of vinegar with four cups of hot water then pour it into a sprayer.
- Next, spray this mixture on your window frame and allow it to stand for about 10 minutes.
- Using a clean, dry, and smooth cloth, wipe down the frame to remove any excess liquid.
In case this doesn’t do the trick, try using baby wipes as they are excellent for delicate cleaning jobs and can clean lots of different surfaces.
Avoid using cream cleaners or abrasive cleaning solutions since they are known to scratch the UPVC’s top layer and permanently remove its ‘glossy’ or ‘shiny’ finish.
How To Clean UPVC Window Sills
All that is needed to ensure your UPVC windows provide a fresh and clean look is an occasional wipe down with soapy warm water.
Here is how to ensure that your uPVC window sills stay looking their best:
- Wipe down the dirty frame using a soft sponge or cloth soaked in warm soapy water.
- Remove any excess water and dry the frame using a clean, dry non-abrasive cloth.
- As mentioned above, avoid using cream cleaners or scouring pads since they are abrasive and remove the uPVC’s shiny finish.
Things You Should Avoid When Cleaning UPVC Windows
It is crucial to ensure you only use suitable cleaning aids for the job to avoid causing irreparable window damage, such as discolouration or removing their glossy appearance. This is especially so when it comes to sprays, liquids, or chemicals.
Here is a list of things that you need to avoid when cleaning UPVC windows, sills, and frames:
- Methylated spirits
- White spirits
- When cleaning so not apply too much pressure
- Nail varnish remover
- Scouring pads
- Jif or Cif type cream cleaners – these products are somewhat abrasive
- Iron wool or wire wool
How To Clean UPVC Window Hinges
Over time dirt and dust will build-up on the window hinges that can cause the windows to stick. As a result, it can become increasingly tough to open and close the windows.
Fortunately, there is a quick and straightforward way of getting rid of the debris accumulated on the hinges, to ensure the windows open smoothly and restore the ‘glossy’ finish.
- Start by opening the window as far as possible. It shouldn’t be too wide as this could cause damage.
- Remove the dust from the hinge using a microfiber cloth. Alternatively, you can use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment.
How To Clean Window Panes
In case you are just spring cleaning and are looking to give your window panes a sparkling fresh finish, it is best to do it on a cloudy and dry day.
Cleaning windows on a dry but cloudy day first and foremost will stop you from getting wet but also prevents the cleaning product you apply on the windows from looking streaky.
The best process to clean your window panes:
- Remove the dust on the surface of the pane using a soft, dry microfibre cloth.
- Using a sponge that has been dipped in warm soapy water, gently wipe down each glass pane. Do not use a scourer and be cautious of scratching or damaging the glass.
- To get a sparkling finish, we suggest using a good well-known glass cleaner and using paper towels or a dry microfibre cloth. Make sure that you replace them as often as you wipe them.
- As soon as the window frames have been wiped clean, rinse and dry them with a clean, dry cloth.
It’s essential to keep your windows, frames and mechanism clean. Cleaning your windows will also help to make your house look clean and tidy.
For more information on UPVC windows, contact us at Fenster UPVC Windows Milton Keynes.